Heemans' Ginger Pumpkin Meringue Pie
Heeman's Ginger Pumpkin Meringue Pie
- 2 cups/ 500mL pumpkin
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- ⅔ cup/150 mL milk
- ⅓ cup/75 mL maple syrup
- ⅓ cup/75 mL sugar
- 1 tsp/5 mL cinnamon
- ½ tsp/2 mL ground ginger
- ½ tsp/2 mL salt
- ¼ tsp/1 mL nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp/.5mL groung cloves
Gingersnap Graham Crust:
¾ cup/175 mL crushed gingersnaps
½ cup/125 mL crushed graham crackers (7 squares)
¼ cup/50 mL butter, melted
1 tbsp/15 mL brown sugar
Brown Sugar Meringue:
- ⅓ cup/3 egg whites (at room temperature for 30 minutes)
- 4 tbsp/60mL brown sugar
- ½ tsp/2 mL vanilla
- ¼ tsp/2 mL cream of tartar
- ⅛ tsp/1 mL salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C degrees.
- Combine gingersnaps and graham cracker crumbs in a bowl with sugar. Stir in butter and spread mixture evenly onto the bottom and up sides of a 9" pie plate. Bake in a preheated oven for 4 minutes. Cool on a wire rack while preparing pumpkin filling.
- For pumpkin pie filling, combine pumpkin, sugar, spices and salt. Add eggs and lightly mix with fork to combine. Gradually add milk and maple syrup stirring until just combined.
- Pour filling into the gingersnap crust. Use pie-edging protector or loosely cover edge of pie with foil. Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Remove protector or foil and reduce oven temperature to 350°F/180°C degrees.
- In a large bowl all egg whites, vanilla, cream of tartar and salt. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add brown sugar one tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until mixture forms stiff peaks that stand up and hold their own shape.
- Spread the Brown Sugar Meringue over hot filling carefully to the edges and lightly seal by pressing to the crust. Bake in the preheated (350°F) oven about 15 minutes until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Can be loosely covered and refrigerated within 2 hours.