Billy's Famous Fresh Strawberry Pie
Written by Billy's Deli
Anyone from London knows the best place to get a fresh strawberry pie is Billy's restaurant downtown. Their secret? Heeman strawberries! We've got their secret recipe, here for you to prepare at home.
Yields: 1 pie
- 2 quarts/500mL fresh Heeman strawberries
- 1 10 inch cooked pie shell
- 1 cup/250mL crushed strawberries
- 1 cup/250mL sugar
- 3 tbsp/45mL cornstarch
- 1/2 cup/125mL water
- 1 tbsp/15mL butter
- 1 tbsp/15mL lemon juice
- Mix crushed berries, sugar, cornstarch and water in a saucepan. Cook over medium to high heat, stirring constantly until the mixture boils.
- Add the butter and lemon juice.
- Put remainder of the strawberries into the bottom of the cooked pie shell. Reserve some for garnish.
- Pour cooked glaze evenly over the whole berries in the cooked pie shell.
- Let stand to cool (we refrigerate ours, until we need to top the pie).
- Top the pie with fresh whipped cream or a good topping, then garnish with the berries that remain.